loader image

History Fitzpatrick Castle

Built: 1740

Originally known as Mount Mapas, Fitzpatrick Castle was built in 1740 by Col. John Mapas, although records indicate that the site was occupied much earlier. By 1755, it had been acquired by Captain Maunsell, who, in 1770, had been succeeded by Colonel Loftus. Robert Warren then purchased the Castle in 1840, when he extended the house and renamed Killiney Castle. Additionally, he restored and added to the monuments on the hill, repaired the obelisk erected by Col. Mapas, and donated most of the money for the construction of the Killiney parish church. Robert Warren Jr. purchased the land on the hill, which was once part of the estate. As a result, it was renamed Victoria Hill – as still we know it today – by the Queen Victoria Jubilee Memorial Association.

The Story of Fitzpatrick Castle

This charming and enchanting 18th century Castle offers the epitome of elegance and charm on the South Dublin coast. With sea views that are considered the finest in Ireland, Killiney Hill stands in the townland of Mount Mapas, which was first mentioned in official records at the beginning of the seventeenth century. The original castle was thought to have been built in 1740 by Colonel John Mapas, and an impressive monument and obelisk erected by Mapas in 1741 – a year of scarcity and hardship, when fever and famine devastated Ireland – still stands on the summit of the imposing hill today.

The eighteenth century saw various owners of Killiney Castle, including Colonel Loftus, who purchased the estate in 1770. As a Minister of Parliament for Bannow, Loftus was a central figure in many of the most keenly-contested legal struggles of the eighteenth century, and was also a descendant of the great Archbishop Loftus. Despite only living in the castle for two years, Loftus and his nephew had a grand vision for the estate, converting the barren hills and rocks that surround the castle into pristine meadows and pasture lands. Later improvements were carried out by the notable Lord Clonmell, who employed over 200 men to develop the land and build a park that originally housed a herd of deer.

As we move into the nineteenth century, the most significant resident of the estate was Robert Warren, who gave the property the name Killiney Castle. A lawyer and property speculator, Warren made significant developments to the house, adding mediaeval corner towers, turrets, and battlements; despite having many more plans for his property, Warren was forced to abandon them when his wealth began to deplete rapidly. It was said that, as multiple bills went unpaid, Warren gained a reputation for being unpleasant and quarrelsome with neighbours and business associates. Eventually, Warren was forced to auction off the Killiney land to settle his creditors. Following Warren’s brief yet significant habitancy, part of the estate was purchased by Queen Victoria’s jubilee memorial association and subsequently renamed Victoria Hill, as it is still known today. 

It is assumed that Killiney Castle was vacant and fell into disrepair at certain points during the twentieth century, despite scant historical records during this period. As war unfolded, Killiney Castle was taken over by the IRA and the Republicans before being requisitioned by the Government and used as billets for the army. Following a turbulent period of conflict and devastation, Killiney Castle exchanged hands once more in the 1970s and was transformed into a luxurious hotel by the late Paddy and Eithne Fitzpatrick. Today, their daughter Eithne Fitzpatrick Scott-Lennon is at the helm of the hotel – now called the Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel –  continuing to build on its success while maintaining its heritage, charm, and, of course, a warm Irish welcome.