Sir Richard Cocks, 2nd Baronet – Born about 1659 in Dumbleton, England, Married in 1688, and Died 1726
Robert Cocks, 3rd Baronet – Born about 1660 and Died in 1736
Bolton Eyres-Monsell, 1st Viscount Monsell – Born in 1881 and Died in 1969
With spectacular views in all directions – over the Cotswold hills and across the Vale of Evesham – Dumbleton Hall is surrounded by acres of immaculate gardens and woodlands. Located on the border of Gloucestershire and Worcestershire, Dumbleton is a wonderfully traditional Cotswold Manor House that exudes character and old-world charm.
The original Dumbleton Hall is thought to have been built in the early 16th century, and was home to the Cocks family for over 200 years. Sir Richard Cocks (b. 1659), described as a rare bird, naturally self-opinionated, and verbose, served in the House of Parliament as a Country Whig. He was attributed the famous quote “I am guided by reason not party.” Many of his meticulous records remain today.
When another Sir Richard Cocks, several generations later, died in the 18th century, the Hall sadly fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished. However, the hall was beautifully and painstakingly rebuilt using Cotswold stone in the middle of the 19th century, and it is this more recent property that has enjoyed a more intriguing and varied history.
The beautiful Hall became home to the Eyres family, and in the swinging 30s, the Hall became renowned for its extravagant and lavish parties, attended by John Betjeman, later Poet Laureate, the Mitford sisters, and other notable members of the contemporary literati. The grandeur of the Hall was even considered to be considered as a suitable alternative venue for the House of Lords during the Second World War and, even more surreally, the Hall was thought to have been chosen by Adolf Hiter as his private English home should he achieve total victory in Europe.
In 1959, the Hall began its existence as a hotel and was purchased by The Post Office Fellowship of Remembrance through donations from Post Office employees, past and present. Dumbleton Hall was, proudly, one of the many historic properties used as a living memorial to the Post Office workers who died tragically in the two World Wars. In 2021, the hotel was sold by The Post Office Fellowship, and the profits were donated in order to continue its mission in providing a living memorial for the fallen soldiers.
With a history encompassing a demolished 16th century property, a glamorous party venue, and a philanthropic centre, Dumbleton Hall is not just an immaculate Cotswold Manor House – it is a celebrated landmark.